Tuesday, January 22, 2013

There are times when you come across items, posts, tweets, stories, emails or observations that you just want to share with the world and beyond and so for that, there is now this.

There are many thoughts, conversations, news reports and chatter regarding Idle No More.  Many too vulgar or racist to warrant much more than a passing glance and much too political for me to share.  This one, emailed to me from a friend (fyi, I can be reached at nicole@gtalisted.com if there's something YOU want me to share), was too well written that I could not, not, share.

I'm calling it: Joe Canada


In response to your last e-mail here is the letter that I sent to the PM and others

After listening to all the Idle No More coverage on the news for the last month I feel compelled to write this letter. I worked for 34 years 9 months for Canadian Pacific Railway. During this time I went where I needed to keep working. I did this to have the things that I wanted as a young man, then later on help raise my family and give them a roof over there heads, to feed and cloth them and give them the nice things they wanted and needed. When my wife's children (our children) where older we helped put them through College and University. Now our youngest daughter is going to University and again we are helping her out. All this time they had to work at part time jobs to help pay their own way and take out loans to help out. This last year I have taken a part time job to help our youngest daughter out as well as give ourselves some things we want (vacations and such). I have done these things so our children can get a good education, so they can go out in this world and get good jobs and become independent.

I listen to the Chiefs talk about Idle No More and all I hear them say is they want what was given to them in the Treaty. They want education for their children, how they want their share from the land and all that is in and under it. How they want to protect the water in this Country.

Not once in all this Rhetoric have I heard them say that they want for there children to become educated so they can go out in the work force and WORK, become self dependent and not have to stay dependent on the government of Canada for another 100 years. Is this their dream for the people of First Nations, that their people can remain living on Reserves and the WORKING people of Canada can support them. Not once through all of this have I heard any of the Chiefs admit that there has been any wrong doings on the part of any of the Chiefs, that there was spending that has been inappropriate. We have not seen the housing of Chief Theresa Spence, does she live in the same conditions as the rest of the people of Attawapiskat. Was this “hunger strike” timed to take attention away from the audit that was to come out on Attawapiskat?

D.B. (blogger has removed name for privacy sake)
Minnedosa Manitoba

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment